Wednesday 15 August 2007

Poor day

Had a disappointing day today. I think my recent MTT results have caused me to lose focus, both the positive and the negative. I tried a couple of Stars Sunday Million qualifiers today, no doubt an attempt to redeem myself for stupidly bubbling on Party. I tried a $2.20 triple shootout and a $3 rebuy, but did not progress far in either (that said, I reached the second round of the shooutout and got HU, sadly with an 8:1 chip deposit. 44 meets KK, the end.) I also played in a $22 FO at Party, which had an interesting hand which I feel I played badly. The bigstack had been limping incessantlyand I failed to make a decision on the flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is $40 (9 handed) by Hand Converter CG



saw flop|saw showdown



MP3 ($1920)

CO ($2860)

Hero ($2840)

SB ($3920)

BB ($2860)

UTG ($2780)

UTG+1 ($3040)

MP1 ($10320)

MP2 ($2420)



Preflop: Hero is Button with Kd, Qs.

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $40, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $40, Hero raises to $200, SB calls $180, BB folds, MP1 calls $160, CO folds.



Flop: ($680) 9c, Jh, 8s (3 players)

SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $400, SB folds, MP1 raises to $1000, Hero calls $600.



Turn: ($2680) Ad (2 players)

MP1 bets $1000, Hero folds.



Final Pot: $3680

Main Pot: $2680 ($2680), won by MP1.

Pot 2: $1000 ($1000), returned to MP1.



Results in white below:

No showdown. MP1 wins $3680.


I never really recovered from that. I think I needed to take the free card on the flop, cbetting vs. 2 opps was hardly a good idea when this shortstacked. Once he raised, I really thought I was facing a bluff but for some reason I failed to pull the trigger. I think I have 10 outs vs. AJ, and FE as there was a lot of blkuffing in his range. Still, another lesson learnt.

I also had a bit of fun with my new account on VCPoker. I was messing around with a £6 signup bonus, playing cash and HUSnGs. I realise now how badly I suck at cash games. My preflop is fine, possibly even good at 6-max as I'm not afraid to 3-bet light in the right places. But post-flop I just have no clue what I am doing, other than never slowplay! That just makes me bet all the time though, I need to work out how to get away from hands. Still, I made it all back in the HUSnGs, and even made 13p profit!

All this makes me think I'm losing focus though. I think I need to improve my SnG game, so my next few sessions will be 4-tabling $22s (yes, $22s!) and then reviewing each set of 4 before I try again. I think that will really help me improve instead of just mindlessly grinding. I lost ~ $35 today and I'm completely unsatisfied. Yes I had fun while I was doing it, and I learnt some lessons, but I need to refocus and make sure that bankroll continues to rise!

Jonny

No comments: