Saturday 11 August 2007

A poker blog! How novel...

My name is Jonny, I'm 19 years old and I'm currently working nights stacking the shelves to help finance my further education, starting in September. I hope never ever to return to Tesco to work, and that is why I am creating this blog following my poker progress.

I've been playing NLHE for roughly 6 months, and have managed to turn a $50 deposit into around $1k, while taking out money to pay for all poker software and books that I buy. I like to keep my poker bankroll seperate from all of my other money, so that even if I crash and burn, I won't have lost anything from the game. I am so enthusiastic about that idea that I have even removed the original $50 deposit from my account, so even that is safe!

I have been mostly a SitnGo player for the past 2-3 months, and now have over 1000 $11 turbos under my belt. My ROI is currently 6%, which I find hugely disappointing and I would like to get that up to 10% as soon as possible. I have experimented with the number of tables I play, even trying 20 on two occasions, but I have found that any more than 9 Party Poker tables is too much for my laptop to handle.

I also have some experience playing cash games and multi-table tournaments, and I find myself increasingly unsure on what I want to do in the future. I find MTTs greatly enjoyable, but I think the variance would probably be too high for me. Seeing some of the great MTT players have a month where they lose money is mind-boggling, and I'm sure I wouldn't have enough confidence in my play to continue when it would seem that I am a losing player. I will continue to play MTTs though, I just can't see myself relying on them as my main source of poker income any time soon. I may turn to seriously playing cash games sometime in the next year, as I want to improve my ability to read hands and play optimally against the player, not just the situation.

SnGs are all about putting a player on a range of hands when you go into push/fold mode, and using ICM given that range to make your decision. It really is that simple, but it is all too easy to give players generic ranges in certain situations, when multitabling that is often the only thing you can do. But when I read high stakes cash players posts, they know exactly how to play given the exact player and how he likes to play. That is something I strive to be able to do, but there is so much to learn...

Jonny

No comments: